Join The hometipple Club & save up to 30% off!
Home > Producers > Clos siguier
Gilles Bley’s site is located around 30 km south of the Lot’s hurly-burly. The 400-meter altitude is the key determinant in producing light and approachable Malbecs with great depth. Iron-rich limestone soil structures also contribute a prominent minerality.
The vineyard is 15 hectares, planted to 95% Malbec with the remaining 5% to Tannat. The average vine age is 60-80 years and Gilles caps yields between 25-30 hectolitres per hectare, which is low by any standards.
Gilles eschews new oak altogether, and this lets the fruit and regionality do the talking. Organic production methods are deployed, all ferments are spontaneous and long fermentations tease out succulent fruit profiles. Gilles is not a fan of sulfites either, only using minuscule amounts to retain stability after malolactic fermentation occurs.
The wines are given two years elevage before release which not only allows integration of flavours and stability but reduces the need for filtration.
These natural credentials have won Clos Siguier fans such as Alice Feiring, and Paris bars Bistrot des Envierges and L’Ange Vin owned by the legendary Francois Robinot who Gilles has previously sold to. The wines have charm and regional distinction.
We are very proud to be working with a Cahors producer that demonstrates the diversity and stylistic approach available in the area.
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.